October 14, 2020
PUBLICATION OF NEW VERSION IFSv7
- WHAT IS IFS
IFS is a private owned standard originally published by the German and French retailers’ association. It is in line with the requirements of the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI).
Its structure is similar to the BRCGS Food standard and the FSSC22000.
The standard requires the companies’ compliance with the relevant food legislation and the special requirements it contains.
Certification increases customer reliability, and is a key tool of the company to enter the markets of Europe, USA etc. In addition, companies achieve the reduction of their customers’ inspections since the latter have access to all the elements of the inspection by the certification body.
- THE NEW VERSION AT A GLANCE
The new version of IFS (v7) was released on October 6, 2020 and will replace the current version (v6.1).
The new version is available for download in the IFS portal for free.
- Key Features of the IFS Food V7
- The risk-based approach identifies company-specific risks and hazards.
- The non-prescriptive approach allows for custom solutions to meet standard requirements.
- Accepted by retailers and brand owners worldwide.
- Requirements developed by food industry experts, certification bodies, and retailers.
- Covers legislation, food safety and quality, and customer specifications.
- Assessments by specifically trained auditors with proven knowledge and expertise of the industry sector.
- Options for unannounced assessments.
- Available in 5 languages.
- Product and process certification based on ISO/IEC 17065:2012.
- What is new with IFS Food V7
- Increased focus on the on-site evaluation, less on documentation
- Reduced number of requirements by 15 %
- Improved structure, tailored to the IFS stakeholders’ needs
- Checklist aligned with latest GFSI Benchmarking Requirements Version 2020.1, FSMA, and EU regulations
- Improved and better defined scoring system
- The assessment report more clearly structured and user-friendly
- Food Safety Culture has been incorporated into the assessment checklist
- Every third certification assessment is unannounced
- Mandatory GLN for companies in the EEA and UK
- Transition period
- The audit against the new version of the standard IFSv7 is possible from 1st of March 2021.
- From 1st March 2021 till 30th June 2021, the company is able to choose the version against which it will be audited, i.e. v6.1 or v7.
- From 1st of July 2021, the audit against the new version IFSv7 is mandatory.
Given the significant changes included in the new version of the standard, QMSCert intends to organize training seminars to facilitate the transition of businesses to the new version.
The training concerns executives of already certified businesses against the IFS standard, as well as consultants who develop food safety systems in accordance with the requirements of the IFS standard.
The training seminar will focus on the new requirements and changes brought by the new version of the IFS Food v7 standard.
All QMSCert partners will receive a formal application form as soon as details of the seminars are finalised. The application form will also be posted on QMSCert webpage.